Committed to Sustainability
Morrison Hershfield is committed to social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
Morrison Hershfield is committed to social, economic, and environmental sustainability. We understand that as a large multidisciplinary engineering firm our actions can greatly impact the earth and its social, physical and natural features.
We will work collaboratively with our clients and partners, striving to protect and enhance the natural and built environment. Morrison Hershfield’s professionals and practitioners work to minimize and, where necessary, mitigate adverse impacts to our environment throughout the company in both our operations and our services.
Morrison Hershfield will lead by example, thereby demonstrating that a successful business can balance economic, social and environmental goals, ultimately leading to true sustainability. We will also provide real and effective solutions to our clients and partners, enabling them to pursue sustainability in parallel with our internal direction.
We measure key performance indicators in the areas of greenhouse gas emissions, energy, water, materials and waste, building footprint, and transportation emissions for our day to day business operations. We track the usage for each of these capacities and strive to reach targets we set for our company in an effort to do our part to mitigate environmental impact.
We also make contributions towards social and economic stewardship by donating time and money to charity, volunteering for social committees, and purchasing through fair trade where possible.
Our commitment to sustainability has far reaching implications on both our external work and on our internal operations. As such, the responsibility to uphold the sustainability focus in our culture lies with each and every employee of Morrison Hershfield.
Our Environmental and Sustainability Priorities
- Define, develop, and communicate the appropriate metrics, both internally and to our clients, so that informed more sustainable decisions can be made. As an engineering firm, it is critical that we use the right measures in pursuing sustainability.
- Advance toward internal operational sustainability, through a process of continuous improvement. We will annually take steps to reduce our environmental footprint while enhancing our social impact. Our path will include consideration of:
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Materials & Waste
- Ecology & Nature
- Human Health
- Social & Economic Stewardship
- Work in partnership with our clients and partners to assist them in planning and designing solutions that contribute to long-term sustainability.
- Elevate the understanding of our employees and partners regarding environmental issues and sustainability.
- Be innovative in finding solutions that advance Morrison Hershfield, our clients and the public toward environmental sustainability.
- Consider and communicate opportunities for climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Monitor progress and report annually to the Board of Directors, our shareholders, and our employees.
Read More About Our Professional Accomplishments in Sustainability
Stevan Vinci, Building Science Consultant and Sustainability Specialist, has been selected as a 2017 LEED Fellow by the Green Business Certification Institute (GBCI). This honor is granted for his outstanding work.. Read More »
Morrison Hershfield is excited to announce that Robinson Place has been awarded a 2016 Canadian Consulting Engineering Award of Excellence in the Buildings category for its LEED EB: O&M project... Read More »
While LEED v4 brings with it a variety of new and updated requirements, the largest changes are within the Materials and Resources credit category... Read More »