- This event has passed.
USGBC Massachusetts: An Optimistic Report from the Dystopian, Apocalyptic World of 2030
January 19, 2018 at 8:30 am - 10:00 am UTC-5
An Optimistic Report from the Dystopian, Apocalyptic World of 2030
In the last decade, carbon levels increased 20 parts per million (from 380 to 403), the population grew by one billion, global temperature increased by half a degree Celsius, and 25 percent more people moved into our cities.
The world is rapidly changing and will be a very different place by 2030. In this talk, we’ll explore dozens of disparate trends in technology, sustainability and the construction industry and connect the dots to get a glimpse into how we can save the world AND save our businesses at the same time. You’ll learn how to stack emerging trends to forecast opportunities in the green building space.
Climate change is redefining the design parameters and project demands for building design. Uncertainty in the future will require solutions that measure and manage energy, water and health outcomes in innovative ways.
During this energetic and entertaining session, we’ll train and engage attendees in a collaborative process to better address systemic barriers to healthy, high-performing, sustainable, resilient buildings. Together, we’ll acknowledge the challenges and complexities facing project teams pursuing net zero / zero carbon projects and how to identify the risks amplified over and above a conventional development.
Presentation Learning Objectives:
- Understand the lessons learned from recent developments in net zero energy, carbon pricing and financial risk models, and how to apply them to your upcoming projects;
- Understand the key financial barriers facing these projects, and how to find creative ways to communicate these opportunities to the owners;
- Discover how advances in automation, energy storage, biophilia and climate planning will change how building owners set requirements for their projects;
- Learn about innovative strategies being used on current projects to design and build low carbon communities;
- Understand and gain experience in co-creating holistic solutions through a collaborative and inclusive process to address systemic barriers to innovation in net zero building;
- Develop a roadmap for your own projects and the future of Living Buildings