Harold Louwerse, Building Science Consultant, will be presenting Insulated Metal Panels – Design and Construction Challenges: Tales from the field and how to improve your next design using IMP at this year’s annual RCI SoCal chapter Hawaii Winter Workshop in Honolulu.
Exterior insulated assemblies are growing in popularity and Insulated Metal Panels (IMP) are chosen by Owners, Architects and Engineers as an attractive, cost effective, all-in-one envelope solution (moisture barrier, air barrier, cladding and insulation) or simply as a cladding and insulation over a separate moisture barrier. Designing buildings with IMP’s pose many challenges. This includes how IMP’s interface with other building envelope assemblies as well as the installation challenges to achieve the desired airtight and thermally efficient building envelope. What is easily drawn on paper can pose some serious challenges in the field
The presentation will cover and provide the following:
- An explanation behind the basic building science principles behind IMP systems on the market today.
- The presenter will explore various types of projects these systems have been used on and a review of typical building envelope and architectural detailing for these IMP systems. A review of several details showing typical construction of IMP systems and installation methods including cut joints, interlocking shaped joints, and termination details.
- A review of several common challenges of the system including structural backup tolerances and structural material selection (Steel Frame vs. Concrete vs. Steel Stud)
- Explore the challenges of maintaining the system’s thermal performance at openings, base of wall and penetrations and we will explore what can be done to minimize the effects of thermal bridging through this assembly.
- A review of several case studies and project challenges of using an IMP system. Attendees will gain valuable first-hand knowledge from the presenter on dealing with challenges and offer up solutions that can be implemented in the design stage so you do not have to deal with them in the field.
- A review of common post construction problems, including impact damage and repair options and methods.