- This event has passed.
RCI Ontario Breakfast Seminar: Thermal Bridging and R-Value & Hybrid Roofing Systems
March 28 at 8:00 am - 11:30 am UTC+0
Morrison Hershfield will be presenting two sessions at the March Breakfast seminar for the Ontario Chapter of RCI.
The first session will be presented by Peter Adams, Senior Building Science Engineer, and is titled Thermal Bridging and R-Value.
Thermal modeling has determined that heat loss through the envelope, as a result of thermal bridges, can represent a significant portion of the total energy loss from a building, particularly in buildings where additional insulation has been added but thermal bridges remain unchecked. This presentation will highlight some common thermal bridges through building envelopes and the risks associated with ignoring their effects during design and construction. It will also present how knowledge of thermal bridging can be applied to improve the accuracy of building energy performance.
The second session will be jointly presented by Ted Katsoris, Senior Building Science Consultant, and Michael Saynaraine, Building Science Consultant. Their session is titled Hybrid Roofing System Options in the Ontario Market.
“Hybrid Roofing” may be the latest buzz phase in the industry as many manufactures are introducing “Hybrid Roofing” as part of their product line. But what really is Hybrid Roofing and why would one select this system over a proven and established system.
The presentation will focus on the decision making process that is involved in selecting a “hybrid System”. Included in this presentation will be several examples where we have used “Hybrid Roofs”, as well as the following:
- Provide an A,B,C approach for specifications that seek redundancy.
- Participants will learn about the physical characteristics of the different types of hybrid multi-ply roofing systems, including Modified Bitumen with floodcoat and gravel, built-up fluid applied systems, and dual waterproofing systems.
- Describe physical characteristics of the different types of fleece backed single-ply membranes, EPDM, TPO, PVC, and KEE.
- Review different type of adhesive products like asphalt, cold and hot applied, two part urethane adhesive.
- Provide a description of the various benefits and advantages of various hybrid insulating strategy in roofing systems.